The purpose of the CIDER Small Grants in Innovative Data is to:
- Encourage research, projects and initiatives pushing forward the use of innovative data. Including but is not limited to ‘big data’ (administrative data sets, etc.), experimental data (lab or RCT field experiment), or innovative use of survey data
- Act as ‘bridge’ funding for proposals that were prepared for SSHRC but were not funded; Please note on the cover page if your project is in this situation
- Help and support pilot studies and new research to generate data for large scale funding application
- Facilitate the development of new curriculum and course in the field of machine learning and innovative data
- All regular research faculty from the Vancouver School of Economics and the Sauder School of Business (a partner in the CERC) are eligible to apply, either individually or in teams
- Graduate student projects (data-based research project) are also eligible, and they are highly encouraged to apply, but the principal applicant should be the faculty research supervisor for the accounting & authorization process
CIDER provides grant awards of up to $25,000 for a one-year research project. However, requests for larger amounts may be considered on a case-by-case basis. All the awards are subject to the availability of funds. Funds can be used to cover the following costs:
- Research assistants
- Data Acquisition; Subscription fees
- Project-related travel
- Required attendance & presentation of research results at a conference
- Equipment, if integral to the research (please indicate with justification in the proposal)
Regular research expenses under this award should follow UBC and tri-council rules.
Applications must include:
- Cover page
- Maximum two-page project description, which must include:
- Brief description of the project
- Justification of project as 'innovative data'
- Description of the marginal impact of the funds
Proposal Review Panel
A panel of peers from the VSE and Sauder will evaluate the project proposals.
The panel's recommendations will be forwarded to the CERC Chair for final review and funding decisions.
|Stages||Date or indicative period|
|Publication of the call||August|
|Deadline for submitting applications||September 11 (5 PM PST)|
|Evaluation period||September – October|
|Notification of results||October|
|Duration of grant||From November of the year granted to the following November (12 months)|
|Annual report submission||The January following the grant completion|
|Duration of the action / Period of eligibility||12 months|